Thursday, April 10, 2014

Dream interpretation: Trust the voice in your dream

Many times “someone” will speak to us in our dreams.  Let’s call that someone your Dreaming Self – that part of you that sees things from a wider perspective.  That voice is frequently the one calling on you to trust yourself.  Today’s dream offers a perfect example.



Dear SMYD,

I am usually a prolific dreamer, but with everything going on in my life, I have been dropping in bed exhausted and sleeping very hard.  I haven’t remembered any dreams at all!  I moved my family in with my parents to help care for my mom as she was declining rapidly.  After she died, we stayed on to support my dad and that went on much longer that I anticipated.

When we agreed it was time to move back out to a place of our own, I was so fearful that Dad would falter.  But I bought a house and we moved, and he’s OK!  In the middle of all this, I got a new job and had a health scare of my own! 

Now, of all things, I woke up this morning with a pretty scary dream on my mind: 

I was in the ocean in deep water and being pulled farther and farther out to sea.  Then, there were people around me pulling me down.  I was afraid of drowning so I held my breath.  I felt desperate.  Someone there said, “Breathe!”  But I said, “No, I don’t have any SCUBA gear!”  But soon I couldn’t hold my breath any longer.  I could see the people under the water breathing and working and going about their business.  So I took a breath and to my amazement, I could breathe underwater!  I woke up relieved and drawing deep breaths.

Signed,

Am I Amphibian?

Dear Amphibian,

Your dream uses the metaphor of being pulled into deep water to illustrate your circumstances:  You’ve been taking care of parents, a spouse and children while acclimating to a new job and grappling with your own health.  It is easy to see how you would feel overwhelmed, in over your head – as if you were being pulled down by those around you! 



When you saw people under water with you, in the same situation, you continued to hold your breath.  Even when you were exhorted to “Breathe!” you did not because you thought you needed SCUBA gear to survive.  As you probably know, SCUBA is an acronym for Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus.  When you had to give in and breathe, you found that you had the wherewithal to do so.  That “someone” in your dream pointed out that you already had it within yourself to navigate all the trials and stressors you have been facing.

Your Dreaming Self is pointing out to you that you have what it takes to operate successfully in some tough situations.  Other people do, and you can too!

Continue to take those deep breaths, Dear Dreamer, knowing you have what it takes to survive and succeed even when you’re feeling overwhelmed! 


Sweet Dreams to You!

No comments:

Post a Comment