Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Dream interpretation - Get some relief!



Dreams fraught with bodily sensation and/or focus on the body may be speaking directly to a physical necessity to which the Dreamer must attend.  But even these dreams most likely have another layer (at least!) of meaning that will direct the Dreamer toward personal growth.

Dear Carolyn,

Sometimes a “soccer mom’s” life can be hectic.  My dream reminds me of the frantic quality of my “typical” days.  I sacrifice for my family because I know the kids will be grown and gone in the blink of an eye.  It is a little embarrassing to write about, but here’s my dream:

OMG!  If I don’t find a bathroom quick my bladder will burst, right here in a huge department store!  I pass through the jewelry, cosmetics and sportswear departments, looking frantically for a restroom sign.  Of course I don’t think to ask a clerk; I just keep lurching through throngs of shoppers, wild-eyed with mounting misery.  Off in the distance I spy “Women’s Room” and make a beeline.  I dash in and yes, there are plenty of available stalls, but -- no doors!  I can’t stay, I must find privacy!  I hurtle in agony through menswear, appliances and shoes and there it is – at last!  A lone toilet, all for me!  But wait, it’s right in the middle of the store!  I can’t do it.

What in the world is this about?!

Signed,

Frantic for the Loo





Dear Frantic,

Any time we dream that our physical bodies need attention; it is advisable to pay them that attention.  Now that doesn’t mean you should just get up and go to the bathroom and dismiss this dream with a flush.  However, there could well be that literal component to your dream. 

While you are doing your best for your family and clearly have placed duty above self, on the metaphorical level, you dream suggests that you are desperate for some relief.  That play on words contrasts the idea of relieving one’s self in the rest room with the anxiety you may be feeling not so far below the surface.  Your dream suggests you need some relief, some privacy, s “Women’s Room,” but it’s off in the distance, probably when your children become independent.

You say that “of course” you do not think to ask for help, but just continue to lurch “through throngs of shoppers, wild-eyed with mounting misery.”  Your dream suggests that none of the “departments” you search through so frantically seem to offer the kind of support you need.  But “of course” without asking your family members, other soccer moms, or community organizations for help, how can you know for sure?

It seems then that your sense of duty and sacrifice has left you without any privacy or a moment’s relief.  Do you thrive on projecting the image of a devoted and harried parent?  Take care of yourself too Dear Dreamer, so you do not burn out before your kids are grown and gone.

Sweet Dreams to You!

No comments:

Post a Comment