Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Dream Interpretation - Polish your diamonds



Dreams of loss are common.  Often the key to such a dream’s meaning lies in the symbolism of what is lost.  For today’s dreamer, the loss of diamonds from her engagement ring is frightening, but less so when the metaphor of “engagement” is understood.

Dear Carolyn,

I have a normal life.  My husband and I are happy and our kids are fine.  Work is always a struggle but after months of turmoil there, it's back to normal.  Not fixed, but back to normal. 

I think I get tired of the routine.  I feel I spend a lot of time just going through the motions.  I go and go.  In the middle of all this, I had a dream that I am having problems processing.  The dream was very business-like, matter of fact:

I lost all the diamonds in my engagement ring.  They just cascaded out, but I was able to pick them up and place them back in. 

I felt that picking up the diamonds was just something that had to be done.  Everything has its place – that sort of thing.  So, there was no panic when they fell out.  I really didn’t even seem worried about gathering them up and putting them back in place.  But I woke up feeling a little sad.

Signed,

Diamonds - Lost and Found



Dear Diamonds,

Dreams like this can be distressing, can't they?  We attach so much meaning to our wedding/engagement rings!  It’s natural to jump to a conclusion that your marriage is in trouble.  But in this case, your dream may speak less about your marriage than it does about your detachment from your “normal” life. 

It might be helpful to think of the play on words with "engagement."  This is likely a reference to another kind of engagement.  Have you observed yourself to be not unhappy, but "disengaged" from your involvement in the aspects of your waking life?  Work, husband, kids' school or activities? 

The tone of your description suggests that this is true.  You tell us how you “go and go,” how you’ve tired of your routine and how you merely go through the motions of your life. 

Your dream reflects this sort of resignation by showing you have lost the "diamonds" of engagement which are, of course, caring, passion, enthusiasm, curiosity, interest and joy.  They are all within reach, but no extra concern or effort is expended on your part.  Just as you describe your work as “not fixed, but back to normal,” that is how you proceed – returning to a “normal” routine that is uninspiring. 

Your dream comes to you in the interest of your health and wellness, Dear Dreamer.  It suggests that you take a more careful look at each diamond in your life rather than putting them back into place with a “ho hum.”  Polish each one with some enthusiasm.  You have much for which to be thankful.  Express your gratitude for the sparkling gifts that make up your days.

 Sweet Dreams to You!

No comments:

Post a Comment