Saturday, March 7, 2015

Dream Interpretation - Do it right, or don't do it



Accounts from ancient cultures include stressful, recurring dreams of being unprepared for work or for a test at school.  Even then, people from all stations in life put off preparing for what they knew they had to do!  Today’s dreamer has his own version of such a dream with a twist.  It may be about more than procrastination.

Dear Carolyn,

I have had versions of this dream over the years and I figure it is probably about my stupid habit of procrastinating.  At this late point in my adult life, it seems really dumb to put things off, but I still do.  No matter how I chastise myself, it remains a problem.  In this newest version of the dream, I felt extremely upset at myself for postponing again:

I’m not sure but I might be just a tad late for the arts and crafts show.  I signed up and paid for a booth months ago and I’m fairly certain this is the right weekend.  The scene opens in a lovely park strewn with crafts people and artists hawking their wares among the oak trees.  Wait, they all seem to be set up and busy already.  How can that be?  What time is it?  Damn, it’s almost four in the afternoon and it ends at five.  How did I screw up so badly?  I wish I knew which space was mine but the park is huge and I don’t see anyone to ask.  My car is loaded with my stuff and equipment but where did I park?

Signed,

Delaying Dave




Dear Dave,

You are among the throngs of people seized withstress and remorse due to procrastination.  As you say, you chastise yourself to no avail and continue to delay.  Your own frustration at yourself feeds the urgency and upset of this latest version of your ongoing pattern of behavior.

Your dream speaks to the newest angle on your habit of putting things off – the fact that you have arrived at “this late point” in your adult life.  Maybe you thought that by now, you would have outgrown the routine. 

It’s important to note that you have paid for a space in this lovely setting among your peers and colleagues.  You have also loaded your car with all the appropriate supplies.  You have prepared and paid your dues.  Give yourself credit for this.  But also take note of your lackadaisical attitude after that initial push:  You say maybe you are a “tad” late; and you are “fairly certain” you arrived on the right weekend.  This suggests that you must check your commitment.  Do you sign up for things impulsively – perhaps things you feel you ‘should’ do – only to have your interest wane in the meanwhile?

Perhaps it is late – even late in life – you have only one hour until the show closes.  But it is not too late.  There is no value in berating yourself, Dear Dreamer.  Instead, pull yourself together and do the things you want to do – or let go of the things about which you truly do not care.


Sweet Dreams to You!

No comments:

Post a Comment