Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Dream Interpretation - It's not about Joe; It's about you



Most dreams have layers of meaning.  Sometimes we seize on the literal or superficial elements of our dreams, avoiding the implications for ourselves.  Today’s dreamer offers an example of a dream that presents insights into a friend which are also applicable in his own life.

Dear Carolyn,

I dreamed about “Joe,” an older man I’ve been friends with since I was a teenager.  Joe has lived his life full of regret.  He is always telling me about things he wished he’d done or had not done.  
Sometimes it’s tiring and I ask myself why I have stayed friends with such a negative person all these years because I have no regrets.  Well, to be totally honest, I guess you could say I am disappointed or frustrated with myself.  I often think about what I should be doing or accomplishing.  But only in my head.  I don’t go around whining out loud!

In this dream I see Joe.  He has dyed his hair blonde as it used to be when he was young.  He looks younger and alert and healthy and frisky.  He has been called to testify in a trial or hearing of some sort.  The parties involved found him via a different name ~ Sammy Jankis ~ the name of a character in “Memento,” a weird movie about short-term memory loss.  Joe had forgotten that this was his name.  Because of this new information from the trial, Joe will inherit a large sum of money. 

When I wake I have the thought that he spent a long time in his life not appreciating the inheritance he already had, the one that was coming to him.

Signed,

No Regrets

Dear Regrets,

Your dream has not come to tell you what you already know about Joe.  Rather it uses Joe as an example for you.  You say you are not like him, but if your internal dialogue is one of constantly reviewing your disappointments and frustrations, that is a form of regret.  You are more like Joe than you realize. 

The trial in your dream denotes a formal review and this is called for in your case.  Take a hard look and you likely will discover that you also have short-term memory loss!  Are there recent achievements or contributions you’ve made for which you give yourself no credit?

Your dream comes as a reminder that like Joe, you have forgotten your earlier self.  When you were younger, most likely you had an optimistic and forward thinking outlook, rather than the unhappy and judgmental one that dominates your self-talk.

Like Joe, you have left behind the inheritance that has been yours all along, a happier outlook with brighter prospects.  Consider focusing some time recognizing those things you have accomplished over the years at work and at home.  Start a gratitude journal to keep yourself mindful of the many positive aspects of your life.

Check yourself, Dear Dreamer!  You may be the one bringing yourself down!


Sweet Dreams to You!

No comments:

Post a Comment