Monday, September 28, 2015

Dream interpretation - Learn to love that cobra!



One of the most powerful strategies when working with a scary dream is to confront the monster in it.  Today’s dreamer does so and gets dramatic results, even if she doesn’t recognize them at first.

Dear Carolyn,

By way of background I’ll tell you that I just attended a workshop in which we took personality assessments to learn aboutourselves.  I tested as a sort of unassuming, unassertive type who prefers to make herself invisible.  It’s true.  I keep the real me a secret, rarely sharing or letting people get to know me.  I have always told myself that I don’t matter, at least not as much as other people.  That’s how I usually think, but I’m working on it, trying to value myself more.  

After the workshop I had this dream:  I had a cobra in a small white bucket with a lid on it.  I decided to give it some water and when I did, it began to grow, fast!  It became giant instantly!  It was huge, a monster!  It began to chase me and was determined to get me. 

I was afraid, terrified, and so began to climb a tree to get away from it; but I knew I could never be high enough to elude it.  Sure enough, it rose up next to me in the top of the tree.  I began to plead with it, “Please don’t eat me!”  It shrank back down into the bucket.  Then I felt bad that it was there in such an unhealthy place, so tightly contained.  I knew I couldn’t give it to anyone else since it was so dangerous.  I felt responsible for making it more comfortable and I thought maybe a larger container would be a good idea.

Signed,

Chased by a Cobra



Dear Chased,

As indicated by the background you provided, your dream likely is characterizing a part of you identified at the workshop you attended.  The quiet, unassuming part of you countered by a cobra in a bucket.  With only a small encouragement – the water you offer – that part of you rises up and takes on the quality of a monster unleashed.  Your terror and flight suggest that you are afraid of your own power.  You beg it not to consume you.  This most likely addresses your waking fear that if you assert yourself, you might be taken over by a dangerous, angry, powerful part of yourself that you don’t know how to control.

An important take-away from your dream is that when you speak to the snake, it responds immediately.  It tames itself and returns to the confines of its bucket.  You are in control, Dear Dreamer, even when exploring unfamiliar aspects of your personality.  

As your dream ends, you begin thinking of how you can make that cobra, that powerful, assertive part of yourself, more comfortable.  Give it some more room.  Allow it to expand into a larger, healthier container – one you can grow into and be comfortable with.
Sweet Dreams to You!



No comments:

Post a Comment