Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Dream Interpretation - Let the baby swim!



Babies in our dreams often signify new beginnings and creative impulses.  Today’s dreamer finds that his concerns for a swimming infant are unwarranted and even detrimental.

Dear Carolyn,

I worked for nearly 30 years in a business I built up on my own.  If I do say so myself, I was very good at what I did and my business was professional and successful.  Many clients were with me from the beginning and said they hated to see me close down – but I was ready.  I wanted to retire before the business became too difficult and wasn’t fun.  Anyway, I’m retired six months now and casting about for what to do with my considerableremaining energy and creative ambitions.  What worries me is that I seem to be easily distractible.  I move toward an exciting project only to be pulled in another direction and then find myself distracted again.

With all this troubling me, I dreamed that I am in a wooded picnic area with a swimming pool.  A baby, about 3-6 months old, is swimming in the pool.  He seems to be OK, but I’m a little worried.  I jump in the water to protect him and then he doesn’t swim as well!  When I get out, the baby swims fine again, going under and coming back up, pushing off the side of the pool and having a good time.  My friends are there – Jim the artist and John the writer.  We seem to be looking at MapQuest when I wake up feeling anxious.

Signed,

Worried About the Baby



Dear Worried,

Your post-retirement dream offers insights and encouragement as you find your way in this newest phase of your life.

First, the setting is appropriate as it places you in a recreational arena, as retirement does.  Your energetic, creative self – the baby born when you retired 6 months ago – enjoys himself, swimming playfully, exploring his abilities effortlessly.  

Even though you see that he – that fresh, new part of yourself– is doing fine, you worry.  And, your worry hinders the baby’s play.  When you begin to hover and needlessly protect, he does less well.  This is your Dreaming Self reminding you that play is play and now is the time in your life to trust it and let it happen.  It’s OK to explore and change directions.  If you “go under,” you will come back to the surface without injury.

You find yourself with your friends Jim and John, those creative parts of yourself, studying MapQuest, trying to find your way, or perhaps looking for a prescribed route to take.  Maybe you have set them up as models for how you think you should be.  There is no harm in admiring their achievements of course, but again Dear Dreamer, your dream suggests that you trust a bit more rather than trying to force the issue of your personal creative outlet.  When you do that, it manifests in the kind of second-guessing and indecision you are experiencing in your waking life.


Sweet Dreams to You!


No comments:

Post a Comment